Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Mortal Instruments series

I did not know about this series until Julie introduced me to it. I don't think it was properly publicized and I suggest Cassandra Clare get a new agent or marketer for this series, pronto! The first movie just came out, did you see it? Do you even know what I'm talking about? No, you probably don't because that wasn't properly marketed either.

The Mortal Instruments series, consist of 5 books, currently.
City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels and finally City of Lost Souls.
This series is considered "teen" fantasy in my local library. Who decided that? Ridiculous!
In this series Cassandra Clare offers some amazing characters and finely worked content. She goes above and beyond in her world of vampires and demons to construct for us a different view from what other authors have provided. I often wondered what it was like inside her head when she wrote them. I must say she is extremely creative.

City of Bones, is the first novel and offers us an introduction to the world of which the Mortal Instruments exist. The characters meet and things start to merge for the main character, Clary, from a normal life of a teenager to what I can only describe as: a different everything entirely. Jace, a Shadowhunter who seems to have a death wish the majority of the time, is the male lead, a born Shadowhunter and a lady charmer. He is quite the fit for our hard headed, single mom New York raised Clary.

The other books progress from some devastating news to learning even more disturbing things while Clary navigates this new world. Learning her way, Clary, accompanied by Jace and brother sister combo Izzy and Alex, trying to save her loved one to kill another one to protect the masses as a whole (not just the Shadowhunter world). I would say her progression of the plot is smooth and  well delivered. 

When I first Googled Cassandra Clare and The Mortal Instruments I was surprised that there was such a cult following and I hadn't heard of it! Where had I been! (reading romance novelists and having a baby, what an excuse, right?). The Shadowhunters Wiki is awesome and I appreciate the people who run this site... WARNING, SPOILERS! Also Cassandra's website is fancified: http://www.cassandraclare.com/ not to mention the website dedicated to this series: http://shadowhunters.com/mortalinstruments/index.php

All and all, if you enjoy books about the Paranormal (Vampires, Angels, Werewolves, Demons, Fairies, Warlocks, oh and the eldest of all stories added in there for good measure: Lilith, the Angel Michael, Kane and Able) you will enjoy this series and I highly recommend it. It is appropriate for most ages. No sex, however innuendos teenager style and some make out sessions, but you will find death and some fighting. It is not religious in one way or the other but is educational, IMHO.

No comments:

Post a Comment